Cloud has transformed the way businesses function and the employees carry out their tasks. It has seamlessly enabled the following tasks-
- Organizing business processes
- Flexible applications
- Smooth communication
In this article, we will discuss the following concepts-
What Is Cloud Migration?
Cloud migration is the process of transferring data, apps, and other essential business components to a cloud computing environment.
Here the most common types of migrations-
- Type:1- Usually, companies opt for a common model that allows the transfer of apps and data from an on-premise or local data center to the public cloud.
- Type:2-Cloud migration can also comprise moving apps and information from one cloud platform to another one. This is commonly called cloud-to-cloud migration.
- Type:3- Yet another type is the reverse migration. This is when a company plans to move out of the cloud environment. All the data from the cloud gets transmitted to the local or on-premise center.
Of all the available cloud migrations techniques, your firm can carry out the one that’s best suited for your business.
Factors To Consider For Cloud Migration
Opt for a customized approach
Every firm requires different sets of features in their apps, platforms, and systems to attain their specific objectives. There is no concise set of apps that can remain on-premise, while rest can be transferred to the cloud environment.
Carry out a proper survey or audit to know which apps are helpful for your business and which are not. Make sure that you discard apps that are not required for your firm.
This way, you will have more clarity on apps that are required to be transferred to the cloud environment. Create an approach that allows you to organize your business activities and departments.
Select a service provider
If your business revolves around huge data and legacy apps, make use of a hybrid cloud solution. This will help you blend your on-premise data center with the cloud environment.
Don’t forget to determine your priorities in order to choose the right set of cloud migration tools. This also will help you to approach the service provider successfully.
Most experienced service providers recommend Microsoft Azure Cloud Services to businesses.
Microsoft Azure offers extensive and much-needed support for hybrid clouds. Your apps on the Azure Stack can be easily managed with the help of the onsite servers.
Other alternatives in the market run a step behind Microsoft and their functionalities. Microsoft solutions are more reliable and have more features.
Here are three reasons why firms prefer Amazon solutions-
- Direct connect
- Storage gateway
- DynamoDB Local
Google cloud allows developers to create scalable services. However, all the data is stored in the existing legacy system and cannot be shifted to the cloud at present.
Access your business apps
While shifting to a cloud environment it is important to evaluate your business apps thoroughly. Try finding solutions for these:
- Which apps can be replaced with SaaS?
- Important apps that needs to be shifted to the cloud infrastructure
- Which apps need modification or can be consolidated?
- Which apps can be recreated as native cloud?
Some of your business apps, including file sharing, emailing, etc. can be easily migrated to the cloud and can also help earn an increased ROI.
Most businesses make use of complex apps for their clients or customers. Such apps are the most difficult ones to migrate in the cloud infrastructure.
At times, the migration cost and time is so daunting that many companies choose redeveloping those apps in native cloud.
Apps that are significant to your business must be handled with great care.
Strike a balance between efforts and results
It is necessary to strike a balance between your efforts and returns. Score your apps on varied dimensions and then make your decision.
You can consider answering the following dimensions-
- Cost incurred to maintain it at the current location
- Are they compatible for a cloud-based OS?
- Can innovation help enhance systems and software?
- Does this system need a lengthy access process?
- Is your app secure, if yes, how secure?
Ideally, almost every app can be transferred to the cloud infrastructure.
But, it is important to know whether this migration brings you any productive outcomes.
In certain cases, companies can be clueless about the effect of the cloud migration on their business processes and functioning.
Reach out to an expert and learn the possible changes that you are likely to face with this migration.
Overall impact on business
Your business can experience a significant change with cloud computing. The effectiveness of computing can be based on-
- Choice of service provider
Regardless of the significant impact, you are likely to enjoy perks such as better communication, organized workflow, and enhanced productivity.
Transparent communication can eliminate loopholes and delay in your work process.
You can also enjoy the advantages of legacy business apps in the cloud environment. This can be analyzed through the sum invested and outcome derived in the entire process.
It is wise to consider aspects of different departments and not just one particular department while implementing cloud computation. This can cause an imbalance in the business functioning.
Key Process In Migration Services
- Planning – If planning is carried out correctly, your business can enjoy a successful cloud computation. Experienced service providers invest quality time in planning to chop the glitches in the process.
- Design- A strong and effective design can make the computing process a lot easier.
- Migration- Configuration, implementation, and smooth integration can assure smooth migration of all the apps and information.
- Optimization- Migration is often considered to be the last step. However, it is equally important to make optimal use of this migration.
ROI is the primary factor that can highlight the actual impact of cloud computation on your business. When the computation is executed effectively, it is likely to show signs on your ROI.